Thursday, December 10, 2009

I finally understand the phrase "taking your life into your own hands..."

I got back from my amazing trip to Puerto Rico a couple of days ago. I haven't been able to blog since I got home because I think my soul died a little when I stepped off the plane into the sub-freezing degree weather of Salt Lake City. And while I was in Puerto Rico, for just a few days, it was an amazing trip. A friend who travels there frequently told me that Puerto Rico was the ugliest of the Caribbean islands. Well, you know what, I'll take it. Compared to Salt Lake at the moment, it is fucking paradise wrapped in heavenly something or other.

The island reminded me of Miami in a lot of ways. Beaches, palm trees, bars on windows, concrete buildings, just to name a few. And I am sure over the next few days as I readjust to life among the frozen chosen of Utah, I will blog more about it. But for now, I want to talk about the driving situation down there...

Below, I have a somewhat crude diagram of traffic patterns down in the Isla Del Encanto ...



It seems to me that for every one lane painted on the road, it is customary to try and squeeze 1 1/2 or 2 lines of traffic in that one lane. Blinkers, there are merely painted on the cars for decorative effect, much like Lightning McQueen's headlights in Cars. And cutting people off in traffic (especially on the freeway) is considered an art. Also, pretty much every car I saw there had dents and scrapes on the fenders and along side of the cars, with more than just the occasional missing side view mirror. So, as best as I can figure, driving in Puerto Rico feels more than just a little like, what I can only imagine, playing Russian Roulette feels like.

Another fun fact was the parking situation. As you can see from the photo below, sidewalks double as a parking strip down there.



For all it's craziness, I had an amazing time. I loved it! It would be an adjustment, having to always shave my entire body and pluck my eyebrows (both cultural things for men down there I was told), but I think I could totally adjust and live down there!

No comments: